The Family Caregiver Support Network (FCSN) is a free resource center that helps family members and friends who are concerned about, helping or caring for older adults (age 60-plus). FCSN is located in Milwaukee, WI, but has local, regional, state and U.S. family caregiver and eldercare contacts for resources. If you wish to contact FCSN, you may call (414) 220-8600 or toll-free at (800) 449-4481 or email FCSN through the
Ask Us section on this website.
FCSN is a one-stop resource center that assists family caregivers (spouse, adult child, other relative, friend or neighbor) with concerns related to caregiving and their older adult care needs. It is part of the National Family Caregiver Support Program, funded by the Milwaukee County Dept. on Aging and United Way of Greater Milwaukee, and is a program of Interfaith Older Adults Programs, Inc. All FCSN services are free.
The goal of the Family Caregiver Support Network is to help family caregivers of older adults be informed and prepared caregivers. FCSN hopes to provide caregivers with knowledge about all of their options, communication skills for improved contact with health care providers and the older adults they care about and to offer family caregivers ways to provide self-care.
The Family Caregiver Support Network provides:
· Telephone assistance
- Caregiver personal support
- Older adult care and living options counseling
- Classes on self and older adult care
- Referrals to resources
- Public awareness information and group presentations
The Network’s resources include:
- Medical, legal, financial, government, community and support group contacts
- Older adult services, housing, assisted living & nursing home information
- Inspection reports for adult licensed care facilities in Southeastern Wisconsin
- Health and supportive literature
- Two Internet sites: www.caregiversupportnetwork.org and
- Quarterly Caregiver Circle newsletter
- Respite programs that pay for older adult in-home care services and facility care to give family caregivers breaks from caregiving.
- Resource Library - FCSN has an extensive resource library with videotapes, CDs and books on caregiver-related topics, from coping with caregiving stress to bringing difficult topics with an older adult to providing hands-on care. FCSN will send materials directly to family caregivers and professionals who help them. Materials may be kept for two to three weeks and are sent at no charge.
In addition to advocating for individual family caregivers having difficulty with services or older adult care, FCSN is active in pursuing public policy that supports family caregivers of older adults. You can learn more about this by listen to a radio interview at: http://www.wsradio.com/copingwithcaregiving/november2004.htm.
FCSN is located at 600 W. Virginia St., Ste. 300, Milwaukee, WI 53204. It is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. However, special arrangements will be made to speak with family caregivers outside of those hours, if requested.